scope base

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:31 am
Approx 4 months ago i purchased an H&R 1871 chambered in .243, at first i bought a cheap scope and had it installed and bore sighted at bass pro shops where i bought the rings to mount the scope. The next day i headed to the range to sight in the rifle and ran out of left adjustment. I figured well cheapie scope, you get what you pay for,OK lesson learned. The next scope was a mid grade nikon...nice scope!! So this time no messing around i took the gun to a local gunsmith and had the scope installed again and bore sighted. Next day went to the range and yet again ran out of left adjustment. I went back to the gunsmith and as calmly as i could asked him is it possible he made a mistake. We took the scope off the rifle and upon magnifying glass inspection you could see the scope base was crooked and the very back screw looked like it was not sitting in the hole straight. so i contacted h&r and they sent me a return label and i shipped the rifle back to them and now they are saying they are approx 4 weeks behind schedule......needless to say i am not happy...this is my 14 year old sons rifle and he is very disappointed....now for my question...Is this normal in the rifle community for a repair on a brand new rifle to take this long? Has anyone ever heard of a similar situation with a scope base like mine.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:23 pm
Welcome to the HR1871 Owners Forum general cheetos !!

To answer your question...yea, it is quite common to experience a month long wait for any type of repair work nowdays...
Administrator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:37 am
Sorry to hear about your troubles but yes unfortunately 4 weeks is not uncommon for turn around time. There are some manufacturers that take much longer than that.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:41 am
I could see if it were a repair on a rifle that Ive had for years and the repairs needing to be done were not due to a possible flaw in manufacturing for it to take 4 weeks but it should be a simple thing to see if the scope base was actually mis drilled and if thats the case send me a new rifle. If im wrong about the scope base i will gladly eat my words but too many people have looked at it for there not to be something wrong. I guess that's the level of customer service at most places anymore...oh well thanks for the replies to my posts and letting me vent a bit....
Administrator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 am
No worries; its very frustrating but keep us update. We are here for you to vent anytime you need. Have a good one.

Copper BB
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:44 am
Well it seems the scope base was the problem. I spoke to the customer service rep for the repair department and she said they replaced the barrel and test fired the rifle for accuracy well ahead of the 4-5 week schedule they initially told me it would take.I should get the rifle back tomorrow and hopefully get the scope remounted this week and fire it next week. I'll post how it fires...thanks for all the replies

Return to Product Review