Building a Buffalo Classic from scratch

Copper BB
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:33 am
I've put together a Buffalo Classic from pieces, here's what I did.

A few years back I bought an H&R .223, pallet wood stock, standard barrel profile. I shot it for a while but then decided I needed more. Since I didn't want to do the FFL hassle I sold just the barrel, leaving me with a very nice, 2009 SB2 receiver. I always had a longing for the Buffalo Classic and told myself I might get a barrel one day. In case you're not aware, H&R has a barrel accessory program where you can send in your receiver and stock, and they'll fit the barrel of your choice (or 2 or 3, or more...). In the meantime I bought a 464SPX .30-30 (which I think is great!) but that's another story.

A few weeks ago 'one day' arrived and I decided to do it. I sent my receiver and stock to H&R to have the 32" .45-70 Buffalo Classic barrel fitted. A week later I had my rifle, no sights since I wanted my choice of rear sight. I then got the Lyman 17ami front sight and a Williams FP-HR TK rear sight, both were a simple installation, hammer and brass drift for the front and 2 screws and locktite for the Williams FP. I used the original .223 pallet-wood stock since that was all I had.

Here's a picture taken on the first range trip:

But the comb on the stock was too high, preventing good sight alignment so I decided to change out the stock. I got the standard H&R black poly stock from Brownells and put it on:

I liked the black but the H&R poly stock doesn't look right, too cheap looking, so then I tried this:

The stock is the same one in the first picture, but I modified it by cutting off the pistol grip and high comb, then I planed, sanded and stained the entire thing. I really liked the shape of the butt stock and was still working on it. I had wet-sanded it and had it sitting in the sun in the back yard to dry, when my son let the dogs out. They'll chew anything, including the butt stock that I had put so much work into. I was back to square one.

I decided to get the original walnut BC fore end since it's cheap, about $35. I put it on and it looked good, and since I had already decided the standard Handi fore end was too short it was a good decision. I also reversed the Williams FP in order to get clear access to the breech. (I have the camera flash intensity turned up so some detail can be seen on the black, and that made the walnut fore end appear lighter than it is.):

I wasn't ready to spend close to $150 or so for a walnut BC butt stock, butt plate, etc, so I ordered an unfinished one for $30 from Gun Stocks Inc. and had them add a recoil pad. I haven't gotten it yet but soon as I do and I get it finished I'll post the final picture.

I got the new unfinished butt stock, it mated to the receiver perfectly, better than the original butt stock. Then I matched the profile of the butt stock to the receiver (1-1.5hrs), and hand sanded it using a wooden block (3-3.5hrs). When I had removed all scratches, my son applied 3 coats of hand-rubbed satin poly urethane. And this is the finished product, my baby:
The butt stock was originally curved where the butt plate attached just like the original BC butt stock, but I wanted a recoil pad, so I had Gun Stocks Inc. cut it off and fit the Limbsaver recoil pad. The stock plus the Limbsaver recoil pad fitted cost $70 plus shipping. My recommendation to anyone with a BC who finds the recoil too heavy is buy a butt stock plus recoil pad from http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/OddsnEnds-pictures/buffalo-classic-buttstock.html, finish it yourself, and you can swap out the original butt stock, saving it in pristine condition.

I've had the rifle to the range a few times and it is a ball to shoot. Heavy loads can be jaring, but if you reload, as I do, it's a simple matter to come up with powder-puff loads. I've had both Remington Express .45-70 300gr and Hornady Leverevolution 325gr FTX out at the range, the Remingtons are my favorite, recoil is manageable, whereas Hornady is trying to show what their Leverevolution cartridges can do so they are much harder hitting (shoulder-wise). At Academy the Remingtons go for about $42 for 20, whereas the Hornadys from the local rod and gun club go for $33 for 20.

Note: I just got an email from Hornady on the FTX .45-70 case length:
The case trim length for the FTX loads is 2.040”. A standard case will measure 2.105”. The difference then would be .065”.

That is a quote direct from Hornady's email message.
I've loaded both Remington and Hornady cases with the starting load and can tell no difference other than not being able to crimp the Hornady cases using my RCBS dies.

Reloading is the only option if I want to shoot much, since I can't afford the $2.00-$3.00 per round commercial price. My reloads are great, I'm using 300gr Missouri cast boolits and using the starting load of SR4759 even my girl friend likes shooting it. I have some hotter loads for the next day at the range, but I have to watch for barrel leading. I've also loaded some cartridges with the Speer #2478 350gr jacketed bullet and 55.0gr to 58.5gr of IMR4895 (still below the max load given in the Speer manual). I fully anticipate these trying to dislocate my shoulder, but I have to try it.

I went to the range today (9-30-2013) and shot all of my reloads. My first comment is that the Limbsaver really works, and an hour after getting home from the range and my shoulder is back to normal. The heavier loads of IMR4895 plus the 350gr Speer #2478 let my shoulder know that we were doing some serious range testing, but the recoil was manageable, it made my shoulder a bit sore at the time but a few hours later and it's back to normal (I'm 69 years old btw). The loads with 300gr Missouri cast boolits and maximum load of SR4759 are a piece of cake, not powder puff, but no problem at all. One thing I noticed is that with the IMR4895 plus Speer bullets, each successive, hotter load added about 3" to my elevation at ~75-100yds, when I got to the hottest loads I was shooting about 5-6 inches above the target!

My advice to anyone contemplating doing anything similar, is just frikkin do it...

Andrew...

Return to Harrington & Richardson Handi-Rifle